Reiki Healing Therapy: Is It For You?
Is Reiki healing something you’ve always wondered about, but weren’t really sure who to ask? Wondering if Reiki Healing Therapy is for you? Here, I will give you a brief introduction to what Reiki healing therapy is and what happens during a typical treatment, as well as the healing benefits that are possible.
Reiki (pronounced Ray-key) is a Japanese name consisting of 2 words Rei and Ki meaning spiritually guided life energy (commonly known as Universal Life Energy), an energy which animates us all and is found all around us. Reiki helps to harmonize body, mind and spirit for yourself or anyone you want to help.
Reiki healing therapy is a form of alternative medicine or spiritual healing developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui. Reiki was introduced to the USA and Canada in the 70’s. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands-on-healing. Through the use of this technique, practitioners transfer “universal energy” through the palms of the practitioner by placing them lightly on or just above the recipient’s body, which encourages healing.
What To Expect During Your Treatment
Some practitioners begin the healing session with a short meditation to help you calm and clear your mind. Many Reiki practitioners use healing aroma therapy during the treatment, as well. It is best to wear loose fitting clothing to your Reiki appointment so that your breathing isn’t restricted in any way. You may be asked to remove jewelry. The room is usually dimly lit and some practitioners use meditative music to set the mood. You will relax lying down, fully clothed except for your shoes, on a couch or massage table while the healer holds his hands lightly on or above you. A treatment can last an hour or more depending on the treatment required.
The Reiki practitioner will rest their hands on different areas of the body for 2-5 minutes before moving on to the next area. However, some practitioners hover the hands over the body, without making contact. Either way, Reiki energy flows to where the imbalances are in the body.
Will I Feel Anything?
There is no pressure on the body making it ideal for treating all ages and conditions. The energy flows wherever it is required and can normally be felt as a warm sensation or tingling in the body. Because Reiki energies flow to where they are most needed there is a Reiki phenomenon called phantom hands that you may or may not experience. Phantom hands feel as if the Reiki practitioner’s hands are touching one part of your body when they are actually elsewhere. For example, you may be able to see that the healer’s hands are actually placed on your stomach, but you could swear that hands are touching your legs. Or, you may feel as if several pairs of hands are on your body at the same time as if several people are in the room with you. Receiving Reiki is a very relaxing and soothing experience!
What Are Some Of The Benefits?
Reiki can be used for many ailments like reducing stress, relieving pain, headaches, stomach upsets, back problems, asthma or respiratory problems, menstrual problems, sinus, anxiety and many more.( Reiki should never be used instead of medical treatment, it should be used as a compliment and a way to become and remain healthy.) Here’s a list of some of the benefits you will receive from Reiki treatments:
- Promotes natural self-healing
- Balances the energies in the body
- Balances the organs and glands
- Strengthens the immune system
- Treats symptoms and causes of illness
- Relieves pain
- Clears toxins
- Adapts to the natural needs of the receiver
- Enhances personal awareness
- Relaxes and reduces stress
- Promotes creativity
- Releases blocked and suppressed feelings
- Aids meditation and positive thinking
- Heals holistically
Top 5 Reiki Myths
- Reiki is a religion – Reiki absolutely is a spiritual art. The principle teachings of Reiki embrace a life of balance and promotes spiritual growth. But, Reiki is not a religion.
- Dr. Usui was a Christian Monk – The founder of the Usui System of Reiki, Dr. Mikao (Mikaomi) Usui, was not a monk, a Christian, or a medical doctor. He was a Japanese Zen Buddhist, a businessman, spiritualist, and scholar.
- Having a Reiki Attunement Will Open Up a Dialog with Your Spirit Guide – The urban legend has it that the attunement alone would make this happen. Some Reiki II classes include a promise to “Meet your Guides.” Yes, it could happen and likely has happened for some Reiki initiates, but there is no guarantee.
- Reiki is a massage therapy – Reiki is NOT a massage therapy. Although there are many massage therapists who will incorporate the use of Reiki’s healing energies into their massage sessions.
- Giving Reiki to others depletes your own energy – A Reiki practitioner does not give his personal energy over to the client. He serves as a channel, funneling Universal Life Energy through his body to the recipient.
We’ve learned Reiki is a spiritual art, promoting spiritual growth through energies from the practitioner’s hands. Reiki Healing Therapy is a totally noninvasive alternative medicine technique that promotes healing of the body, mind and spirit. What do you think? Now that you have a little better understanding on what exactly Reiki healing therapy is all about, IS IT FOR YOU? It’s absolutely nothing that can cause you harm, but there is a possibility of getting something from it. So, why not try it, at least once? When you do, get back to us and let us know how it went.
For information on how you can become a Reiki Master Click Here!
Recommended reading: Reiki For Life by Penelope Quest
Please leave your comment below, maybe you’ve already had a Reiki treatment session and want to share your experience? I’d love to hear about it!